Dr Biju Jose MBBS; MD; PgDipEd; MRCP (Endocrinology); FHEA; FRCP Edin
Year qualified: 1998
Languages spoken: English, Malayalam, Tamil
NHS Job: Consultant Endocrinologist, Royal Stoke University Hospital, University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, Stoke-on-Trent
Dr Jose was appointed a consultant in 2012, having completed his higher specialist training in Endocrinology, Diabetes and General (Internal) Medicine from the West Midlands Deanery. During training, he took time out from the training programme to pursue research activities and obtain teaching qualifications.
Dr Jose was instrumental in streamlining and modernising the regional pituitary multi-disciplinary services as well as developing several new services. The lipid clinic, under his leadership, is now a fully functional service delivering newer therapies and is also part of a regional alliance to provide genetic testing. Working closely with genitourinary medicine team, he has played a pivotal role in developing a virtual metabolic clinic for patients with HIV disease.
Dr Jose is actively involved with the Keele Medical School in his role as the Prescribing co-Lead, helping to develop new teaching material and contributing to curriculum development.
His areas of special interest are management of pituitary diseases and lipid disorders in addition to all aspects of endocrinology and diabetes care.
- Society for Endocrinology
- Diabetes UK
- General Medical Council
- Pituitary Foundation
- European Society of Endocrinology
- International Society of Endocrinology
- HEART UK
SELECTED PUBMED LISTED PUBLICATIONS
- Primum non nocere. Resist the urge to treat; QJM 2016; 109 (8); 573-573
- Hyperprolactinaemia during Psychotropic Drug Therapy: Endocrine effects and Practice Recommendations. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2014; 75(50); 262-7
- Can a baseline morning cortisol predict outcome of short Synacthen test in an endocrine unit in an outpatient setting. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2014 Aug 16. doi: 10.1111/cen.12585
- The Effect of Weight Loss on Renal Function – a Retrospective Study of Patients after Bilio-pancreatic Diversion Surgery – Obes Surg. 2013;23(5):634-7
- DEME (Diabetes Endocrinology in Medical Education) Survey – Evaluation of Endocrinology and Diabetes teaching at a UK Medical School –The British Journal of Diabetes & Vascular Disease 2012;12:153-154
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetic Neuropathy: a Novel Association in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 186(5):434-41
- Inpatient audit of hypoglycaemia in older people with type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Nurs. 2011;15(9):343-347
- Response at 3 months to insulin dose decisions made at exenatide initiation in the Association of British Clinical Diabetologists nationwide exenatide audit. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2011; 93(2):e87-91.
- Safety, efficacy and tolerability of exenatide in combination with insulin in the Association of British Clinical Diabetologists (ABCD) nationwide exenatide. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011; 13(8):703-10.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea as a Cause of Headache Presenting to Emergency Department. QJM 2010; 104(12):1087-9
- Exenatide Once-Weekly: Clinical Outcomes and Patient Satisfaction. Patient Preference and Adherence 2010:4 313–324
- Challenges of treating thyroid disease: the need for a revisit. J R Soc Med 2007;100: 68
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis presenting as a pituitary lesion. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2017 Apr 2;78(4):234
- Absent inferior vena cava: an unusual cause of recurrent deep vein thrombosis; British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2015; 76 (4), 247-247
- Diabetic cystopathy: Do we recognise this in our patients? Pract Diab Int 2011; 28(3):129-31
- Glibenclamide controls ketosis-prone diabetes in a 32 year old woman with Kir6.2 mutation. Practical Diabetes Int 2009; 26(6) 244-245
- Visual Impairment in an elderly man. New Zeal Med J 2008; 121(1274): 93
- B Jose, AA Tahrani, AH Barnett. Early insulin initiation in type 2 diabetes. Evidence-based Management of Diabetes (J Vora, JB Buse, Eds.).TFM Publishing Ltd.